Summer 2010

Where’s The Print Version?

By Jason Newell

If you’re wondering why you haven’t received your copy of the Summer 2010 issue of Biola Magazine, you’re not alone.

The issue, as it turns out, doesn’t exist — at least not in printed form. For this summer only, we are celebrating the launch of our new and very much improved Web site by publishing the magazine exclusively online. (Print fans: Don’t worry, the print magazine will return in the fall and will continue to appear four times each year.)

There are a couple of reasons why we decided to go online-only with this issue. For one, by eliminating the printing and mailing expenditures for one issue this year, we’re contributing to a university-wide cost-saving effort that will help keep Biola’s tuition increase to its lowest level in at least 25 years. For our students, that’s a big deal.

Secondly, cutting the print issue gives us a chance to spotlight the new site, which has been in the works for several months now. I’m assuming you’ve already had a chance to explore some of its exciting new features before you found your way down to this decidedly less exciting editor’s note, but let me highlight some of the improvements:

1. Opportunities for interaction. At the bottom of most stories, you’ll now find comment fields where you can provide instant feedback or share articles through Facebook or Twitter.
  2. More online-exclusive content. The new site is friendlier to features like video, audio, photo galleries and extended interviews. Expect plenty more of these in coming issues.
  3. A complete visual makeover. With a new layout, more readable fonts and a better capacity to tie in the art from the print edition, the site is easier to navigate and a whole lot more fun to look at. (Though, for those of you who still prefer to read the PDF version online, we’ll continue to offer that format online in the future.)

In the meantime, to make up for not putting some physical reading material in your hands, we’re giving you all sorts of recommendations for some great summer reading. For our main feature, “The Ultimate Summer Reading List,” we asked some of Biola’s favorite professors to recommend some of their favorite books. You’re bound to find something to add to your “must read” list. If that’s not enough, this issue’s “In Print” is overflowing with new books written by Biola alumni and faculty members.

And if you want a little break from reading, make sure you don’t miss out on our list of “102 Ideas for a Memorable Summer.” There’s plenty of great suggestions there to keep you occupied until fall — when the next issue of the magazine returns to your mailbox.

Comments

• Mike Longinow July 8, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Great idea. I hope you gets lots of positive feedback from readers (but my suspicion is you won't, which is why I opted in.) The more you do this, the more you create an expectancy for pursuit of media excellence and a connection with what's new. That's very important for Biola as it seeks to enter the 21st century with media relevance and media-cultural navigability. You're doing great things in remarkable ways. It's not going unnoticed. (I was just visiting a CCCU school in the Southeast and I heard as much.) Keep at it!

• Lori Mann July 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Great site, great idea! I concur with Mike's comments, and I will share this with my Facebook page. I hope to encourage others to not only read the magazine, but "pass along" the magazine to their Facebook friends. This is a great way to utilize social and new media not only for Biola's excellent magazine, but for the Kingdom's sake as those who might otherwise never have the opportunity to hear about anything related to Jesus. Keep up the good work!

• Marguerite Allen July 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Giggle -- a friend who is not a Biola alum sent me a link to the "summer reading" page (that she had somehow stumbled across) and said it made her think of me. That is how I discovered the summer magazine! It's great to know about the "online home" of the magazine, but I also enjoy the printed version. Glad to know they are both available.

• Deby August 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I'm old fashion and much prefer the mobility of a hands on read, but I love the eco-friendliness of the computer version!

• Teresa Penman August 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM

This is great! We live overseas and only see the printed magazine if it's brought over to us or we come back to the US where our mail comes... so we much prefer getting the whole thing online! Save the postage & the paper - don't send us the print version but only the online version from now on!

• Ken Bemis August 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM

It doesn't surprise me that you have opted for the Internet to get Biola's message across. It's another sign of the times. However, I much prefer the printed edition that can be taken on mini-vacations where we don't have access to the online edition. We also like having the printed copy resting on our coffee table for visitors to peruse. It's a great introduction to our Alma Mater.
    Keep up the good work!

• Jennie August 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I'm all for the online version only. Phase out the print version and save a few trees and money. Works for me. If it could be downloaded to Kindle that would be the icing on the cake for me!

• Amy August 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I'm all for the online version, but where do you find the news and notes about the alumni? Not seeing that anywhere on here.

• Biola Magazine August 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Amy, we left the News & Notes out of this online-only issue because we know that people look forward to having their photos and updates appear in print. We didn't want anyone to feel cheated by having a baby picture only run online, where many people might not see it. But don't worry: The News & Notes will return in the fall issue.